We all have something we're proud of
And something we're not.
Like when I said I wanted
To give the college degree a miss,
Go to design school, launch the arrows
To see if they hit, they said
Great, take the risk, you're good at it, you're good at everything,
(I think), just when
I get nothing more than
A verbal green light which tried to mean
Both more and less,
Something like
Let me support you
But first, I'll think about
How I'm probably going to work
Until I'm 90.
Yet it wouldn't mean much if things were clear,
If it could be shelved away in box labelled Things You Get With Generation Gaps, paying no mind at all
To whatever ignorance I hear.
But it was strange, because it was disillusioning,
How I realised I could do without it,
That I couldn't build my castles like I thought.
And how I realised
I was probably emptier
Than this conservative Chinese family was.
There are days where I wake up empowered
And nights where I go to bed
With so much gratitude pounding within.
It's the feeling of
A thousand Roman candles lighting up in progression along my spine
When my hands give way to
Something so achingly beautiful
Just because I could call it mine.
And it's what comes when
I close my eyes in a Hallelujah,
Think about everything that got me here today –
Things that were lost,
And things that were realised
Along the way.
Yet there are days where my will
Dwindles to a few silent drops off a leaking faucet,
Where twenty-four hours become so long they're embarrassing.
And I've seen nights spent
Curled up in fetal positions,
As if it would hark back to
Those sparkling eyes, the hand which was always held,
The days when I was still
Nothing short of a child.
And so it goes, I guess,
Hashtagging a couple of life decisions #yolo, #adventure, #swag, maybe,
While stumbling through the melodies of others
Because I was hopelessly out of key.
And while I lay gazing at this night sky that is life,
I see constellations romanticized with possibility
While all they are might just be
Leftover confetti.
Because this is a balancing act,
Of the good and the bad, just like how
We all have something we're proud of
And something we're not.
No comments:
Post a Comment