Great weather today – poured just about the entire afternoon while I was cooped up at home soaking up the ambience while catching up on Friday Night Lights (awesome, awesome but unacceptably underrated show). In the evening, we went over to the market at Toa Payoh Lor 4 for some seriously delicious kway chap and Asian platter. It's always great to be back in Toa Payoh or Ang Mo Kio – the places where I grew up, and if Pasir Ris saw the formative years of my childhood, these places are the backdrops of a couple of my fondest memories as a child. Until now I can still remember the way the old market looked, the crowds which overflowed into the neighbourhood square on balmy nights, the clanking of beer bottles, and those loud and warm family conversations in Hokkien which I would eavesdrop without fail. I'm actually really glad that such places continue to stand strong until now, because some things just aren't supposed to change.
The past two weeks saw some highlights and changes in my NS life, and it all started out with an outfield exercise which was, in my opinion, one of the worst I've been to so far. I'm quite disappointed at how I'm still rather weak despite all the training I've undergone in August, and considering how my team didn't really have to do much this time makes things even more pathetic lol. But what really redeemed this exercise for me was the second night, where we were huddled in some forested area around a campfire savouring canned clam chowder while gazing at the Orion's Belt. It was good even with shutting eyes and a lack of words. :)
Shortly after the outfield exercise ended, I booked out of Sg Gedong for a month and now I'm currently staying out, thanks to bike course haha. Am training for a Class 2B license, and though the first couple of days were quite shaky with a lot of scolding and nagging, I finally got the hang of the bike recently and I hope it keeps getting better from here. Daily mantra: try your best, pay close attention, don't be easily discouraged.
The past weekend was a pretty chill one with good food and great (albeit completely weird) company, though some bad decisions and run-ins with people got me thinking a lot about the way I handle my relationships, and what I feel is right to do. Guess there's still a lot to learn.
And so that's all that has been going on so far for now. It's back to work tomorrow, and that means it's also back to those dreadful 6.30am mornings. And to whoever on Tumblr who said 6.30am is an emotion and definitely not just a time, thank you. You understand me.



No comments:
Post a Comment