2013/11/28

Fiction

Slightly, the setting sun
shifts the shaft of light
down the wall. The dust,
illuminated. They float, equilibrate, paying no respect
to memento mori. And I,
I am fiction.

The pages have long yellowed. You caress
my spine. Gently, your fingers slide
across the embellishment, distant as
seeing eyes that
study Braille. I am now fragile –
an artifact, resigned to
your careful curation, your cautious
hands.

I was once the grand wooden door you knocked,
after the drawbridge fell. You gazed, with wonder,
at the silver knight. Running, you escaped
the labyrinth, and embraced
the magnolias, the field where you
were safe.

You were a muse to me, like I was
to you. Magic was when
you thumbed my pages, when we huddled beneath
your fort of sheets. I shared countless night skies
with you. Without thought,
my space was saved
wherever you went.

Yet I was not made to measure the miles,
before my own shadows
swallowed me whole. It was quick,
painless,
sobering, while your world grew
cruel,
illusory. I withdraw
into my corner, second hallway
from the left. Because
I am fiction, and because
I never belonged
where you were.

(It would be wonderful if anyone understood what this really meant, but I don't expect anyone to, judging from the amateurish writing. Still learning though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment