2012/01/23

Start of a Dragon year

Right now I'm just here, wondering if I should continue keeping this. I used to do really well back in the days when I was still on LiveJournal. I wouldn't hesitate spending hours polishing my entries at all, let alone update my online journal regularly. Is it because of the change in the blogging environment? But I gave up on diligently documenting my life while I was using LiveJournal, sometime last year. I guess I'm really losing my interest. :/

Didn't mean to start this entry on such a low note, given that I do actually have quite a lot of cheerful things to update you (nonexistent) readers about! So my apologies for that.

I'm currently celebrating the Lunar New Year, which began about an hour ago, and I have to say: I've been soaking up the festivities pretty well! Had a reunion dinner with my maternal family yesterday evening (actually, just a few hours ago), and the food was amazing as usual. Had a more-than-generous serving of the steamboat soup and ingredients, as well as Grandma's homemade ngoh hiang, which speaks of awesomeness on so many levels.

Before I left for the reunion dinner with my family, I configured the Instagram app I installed on my mom's iPhone a few days ago, and got her phone all geared up to remember Chinese New Year in beautifully edited snapshots. For starters, we took a few self-portraits, as well as photos of the festive ornaments in our home:


I have to say, for a couple of point-and-shoot photographs, they turned out better than expected. Heheheh :)

Guess by now you're probably wondering about what I've been up to the few days I haven't been in this place, so here goes a lousy attempt at keeping you updated.

On Friday, my school held its Chinese New Year celebrations, and well, all of us pretty much went through the motions. But before the performance, my class had a break which stretched across two periods, so I decided to have my lunch then, and it was really delicious! The nice lady working in the Japanese stall at the school canteen made a new addition to her menu: dumpling (gyoza) rice with enoki mushrooms, and of course, I had to get a bowl for myself. I'm a fan of her cooking, it's always very good. Here's a picture of the dish (which I genuinely hope will set your mouth watering, hahaha):


Lol come to think of it, it doesn't really look that delicious from the photo, but at least I've tasted it in all its glory for myself.

After the celebrations I stayed back in school to settle some Orientation matters. I'm going to be a Station Master for this Amazing Race game during this year's Orientation; hope it'll be fun. But most importantly, I'll be able to skip a couple of classes, heheh. Went down to Eastpoint with Eveline, this ridiculously smart Indonesian scholar who'll be in-charge of the same station as me, and we did a short recce of the place, after which we waited (and waited) for the Orientation Group Leaders to collect our envelopes with the clues in them. Overall the whole affair was very dry, but at least I got to know someone new. And coincidentally, Eveline goes to the same church as I do. ;)

After we got dismissed, I went home to freshen up and take a quick nap before leaving the house again for cell group meeting at Faith's place. It was heartwarming to be back in E391 again, and after the meeting, I followed a couple of friends to the nearby playground for a few rounds of Blind Mice (a game I suck terribly in, hahaha). Also, the playground was where I realised Hui Yen was a monkey in her previous life (not meant to be offensive)! She's unbelievably good at that game. And it was so thrilling to watch her try to escape Faith (who was the catcher). If only I had a bag of popcorn then.

Anyway, tomorrow (later today, actually) will mark the first round of Chinese New Year visitations! Hopefully it'll be a fruitful one, in terms of both relationships and finances, if you get what I mean.

Wishing all my (nonexistent) readers a prosperous and bountiful Year of the Dragon! 恭喜發財, 萬事如意, 年年有餘, 心想事成! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment