2014/01/27

Breaking the mundane streak

Last week saw big changes as two of my bunkmates left the platoon for good. It was also bike-riding week, in an effort to clock enough mileage (1000km to be exact) so that we can ride bikes during Ex Wallaby towards the end of this year. I was just the slightest bit apprehensive at first as I haven't rode for nearly 2 months, yet I was assigned as a priority rider (since it has been confirmed that I'm in a bike team for recce operations). The first few sessions went pretty smoothly, though it took a couple of mistakes to make me realise that I should really stop giving in to daydreaming so much. However, things took a turn for the worse on Thursday, when the bike I was using kinda ran out of fuel and broke down in the middle of the road. It probably happened because the bike was in use throughout all three details, and because the first rider didn't check the fuel tank properly even though it was his responsibility. :/ Although I could get it to start, the engine stalled once I engaged the throttle, so I had to push it to the road shoulder and wait for towing services to pick up the bike. It was a good arrangement for the bike convoy to be sandwiched between two rovers while on the public roads, because I didn't have to wait for someone to pick me up once my bike was towed away. Nevertheless this whole fiasco has proved to be an administrative nightmare, and right now I'm not even certain if the matter's been explained clearly to the higher-ups yet.

I finally went for my first nights out in two weeks last Wednesday, and although it was rather idyllic as usual, it kinda shocked me just how much I could spend on food alone in one night. We went to the MOF at Lot 1 for our second dinner for the day, so that burned quite a huge hole in my pocket. I really need to buck up when it comes to financial discipline, what with a savings cum insurance policy which my mom coaxed me into signing up for (and personally because I thought I wouldn't be spending so much for this year... apparently I wasn't headed for a good start) and a whole arsenal of post-ORD plans which I badly want to realise and afford. To make matters worse, I spend liberally during the weekends, and last weekend was no exception, as the cell group went to Suki-ya after church for Mark's farewell dinner. And although it was so good (shabu-shabu buffet with free flow of meat - very few pleasures in life surpass that), it was so wrong for my bank account balance, haha. Man, I really need to save up before I regret it. I'm already financially dependent on my parents for enough aspects in my life.

This week's gonna be a really short one, and so far Monday's been OK with a couple of preparations for an exhibition tomorrow, after which we would (hopefully) book out in the afternoon. Then it'll be Chinese New Year, a.k.a. a period of immersion in festivities and blatant ignorance towards the dread of going back to camp (and therefore the first outfield exercise for the year). And as with every CNY, a good spring cleaning - be it physical or mental - is important. So bad vibes, stay away from me as far as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment