2014/05/14

KL






















Just returned from KL yesterday morning, and I personally think the amazing city deserves more credit. Putting myself out there, getting lost, and roaming the city like locals do in a place where opulence and glitz coexist in harmony with unkempt streets and paint chipping off walls turned out to be more enjoyable than I thought, and though different from the well-organized infrastructure back in Singapore, it is by no means inferior. KL is a city with apparent room for improvement – it's vibrant and in constant flux, perfectly OK with not being squeaky clean, immaculate, or a haven for breeding sheltered, idyllic lifestyles, and that is what makes the city intriguing. It's far from perfect, but it's perfectly authentic.

This KL trip was also the first time I roamed a bustling city on my own, free from the assurance of family and the itinerary of guided tours. This also meant that nothing came between us and the locals, and there were definitely noteworthy experiences from interacting with them. To say the least, it wasn't until I was independent in the heart of the city that I realised Singapore has coddled me in excessive comfort. It did shock me quite a bit to see several homeless people taking refuge in the corners of the most affluent parts of the city, and until this trip, we never had to doubt that our taxi drivers would bring us to our destination. These two days in KL, although short, made me realise a lot about myself and society as a whole, be it what I can offer with the privileges that I have been showered with, or how I should learn to trust strangers more and to take greater risks.

I believe this trip has further opened my mind to many valuable lessons and realizations that I can never glean in small, comfortable Singapore. Of course, there's nothing wrong with wanting comfort – it's at times even instinctive, but I will strive to never regret any opportunities for more diversified experiences should they come my way in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment